The following information is required in order to obtain a marriage license in Wayne County, Nebraska:
- Marriage Worksheet: Print and complete the Marriage Worksheet and then bring it to the County Clerk’s Office with the information listed below. Our office is open from 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. In order to complete the process, it is best to come in no later than 4:15 p.m.
- Presence: Both applicants must be present to sign the application.
- Proof of Age: Both applicants must provide proof of age, such as a driver’s license or birth certificate. All proofs of age must be in English or must have a certified translation attached.
- Interpreter: If an interpreter is needed, the interpreter will need to complete an Affidavit of Interpreter in the presence of the County Clerk, her deputy or a Notary Public. The interpreter must also accompany the couple when completing the marriage license application process.
- Minors: If either applicant is under 19 years of age, a Consent Form needs to be completed by his or her parent or legal guardian in the presence of the County Clerk, her deputy or a Notary Public. The consent form can be printed from this website, picked up in our office, or the parent/guardian must accompany the couple when coming in for the license.
- Adoption: If either applicant has been adopted, please indicate if the names listed on the Marriage Worksheet are that of the biological or adoptive parents.
- Name Change: If either applicant has had their name legally changed, please indicate this. Vital Records will check into any discrepancies.
- Parents' Information: We will need parents’ full names (first, middle, and last name, as well as maiden name for mothers), along with where they were each born.
- Social Security Number: For statistical purposes and possible use in child support collection, we will need both parties’ social security numbers. If a social security number has been applied for, please indicate this. If one or both of the applicants does not have a social security number, an Affidavit to that affect will need to be completed.
- Previous Marriage: If either party has been married before, we will need to know how the marriage ended (death, dissolution or annulment) and on what date it ended. If the marriage ended in dissolution, we will need the date that the Decree of Dissolution was signed by the Judge.
- Fee: The fee for issuing the Marriage License is $25.
- Certified Copy: If a certified copy of your marriage license is necessary for Social Security purposes, insurance and financial purposes, or for changing the name on a professional license, one can be prepared and sent to you once it has been returned to our office after the ceremony. The charge for certified copies is $9 per requested copy.
Once the marriage license has been issued, the marriage can take place anywhere within the State of Nebraska for up to one year after the date of issuance.